Working Partners for an Alcohol- and Drug-Free Workplace. Photos representing the workforce - Digital Imagery© copyright 2001 PhotoDisc, Inc.
Impaired Driving

Employers who maintain drug-free workplace programs already have effective mouthpieces available for messages about the dangers of impaired driving and can incorporate these messages into regular employee education sessions, organizational newsletters, payroll stuffers or workplace displays. A number of national prevention initiatives offer information and resources to help. For employers who do not currently maintain a drug-free workplace program but wish to develop one, the Drug-Free Workplace section of this Web site provides guidance on how to do so.

Workplace-based efforts that contribute to impaired driving prevention include designated driver and alternative transportation programs, especially when workplace parties and other employer-sponsored events may include alcohol. Furthermore, employers need to understand the importance of providing non-alcoholic options at such events and take other steps to send employees a safe and sober message about office parties and drinking. Employers may also consider taking steps to encourage the use of designated driver and alternative transportation programs at non-company gatherings popular with company personnel, such as regular 'happy hours" or special events at local restaurants and bars.

Acknowledging the connection between the incidence of impaired driving and alcohol addiction and encouraging employees who have problems with alcohol to seek help is one step an employer can take to help prevent impaired driving. An Employee Assistance Program (EAP) can help employees better understand about alcohol or drug problems and offer options for getting help. An EAP also can help an employee who may be struggling with a family member or co-worker who has a substance problem. If EAP services are not available, employers can still encourage employees with alcohol problems to seek help. A list of therapists and treatment facilities that specialize in the treatment of alcohol addiction can be made available for employees looking for assistance. Good resources for such information are the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's (SAMHSA) Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator or an employer's National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence.